Page last updated: 17th June 2020
The COVID-19 crisis is having a profound impact on economies around the world and the School is not immune from this. Some of our Partners are facing hard times and on 13th May 2020 we were advised that all our CITB-funded projects are to be suspended for an indefinite period. This combination of events has resulted in a 37% reduction in our revenue for 2020/21. On 14th May 2020 the School Board has approved a plan to deal with this in a way that delivers all the School’s core services virtually and puts a hold on some of our projects until we can find alternative sources of funding, or until the CITB funding returns. We remain 100% committed to delivering our vision to be “the world class collaboration to enable a sustainable built environment”.
Where to find more help
The below links and video content may be useful in regards to specific industry guidance, business advice and financial support available to the sector:
- Resource: Construction and Infrastructure Post Covid-19 Start up Checklist
- Resource: Manufacturing Post Covid-19 Start up Checklist
- Resource: Retaining Talent in Construction – People Survey Results
- UK Government
- UK Government guidance on working safely for construction and outdoor work
- Cabinet Office guidance for construction contracts
- UK Government social distancing guidance for construction
- UK Government guidance for apprenticeships (Apprentices and employers)
- Build UK
- Construction Leadership Council – Site Operating Procedure Guidance
- Construction Leadership Council – Construction Response to COVID-19
- Osborne Guidance for Site Teams
- Fortel Safe Working Guidance
- Mayor of London
- Business Wales
- Welsh Government Regulation 7A – Coronavirus Restrictions for the Workplace
- Welsh Government: Mitigating the risk of labour exploitation in procurements associated with COVID-19
- Scottish Building Federation
- Scottish Government
- Scottish Government Essential Projects List – Scottish Government Non-Essential Services List
Following on from the UK Government statement on 23rd March 2020, we are adhering to government guidance and our office is now closed, with all our team working from home. Our telephone lines are monitored by the team as much as possible, but send us an email if you need assistance.
The School continues to provide the highest quality learning to you amidst the Coronavirus outbreak.
UK Government guidance for outdoor work
On the 11 May, 2020, the UK Government published guidance around returning to work for construction and other outdoor work. This document is to help employers, employees and the self-employed in the UK understand how to work safely during the COVID-19 pandemic, keeping as many people as possible 2 metres apart from those they do not live with. Read the guidance here >
UK Government advice on training
Latest UK Government guidance encourages all employees to complete training, in particular if they have been furloughed (as long as no revenue is generated as a result of this training).
Furloughed employees can engage in training, as long as in undertaking the training the employee does not provide services to, or generate revenue for, or on behalf of their organisation or a linked or associated organisation. Furloughed employees should be encouraged to undertake training. – Gov.uk
Our lockdown learning
We have changed the format of all our face-to-face activities (workshops, supplier briefings, meetings) to run them remotely via webinar facilities (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, ClickMeeting).
Our lockdown learning programme has been designed to fit around your day, no matter how much (or little) time you may have to spare – and it’s all completely virtual.
With more being added to our lockdown learning plan on a regular basis, make sure you keep an eye on our event calendar.
We hope you find this move reassuring so that you can still access all our training in a safe home environment, and as well as our lockdown learning virtual course, we still offer over 2,500 free resources online that you can download in the School, including tailored action plans and e-learning.
We will continue to monitor the situation as it evolves, so keep an eye out for updates on our website, and by email.
Safe working during COVID-19
The Construction Leadership Council has developed this video on how to keep your staff, and sites and places of work safe during the Coronavirus pandemic.