VolkerWessels UK is a leading multidisciplinary contractor that delivers innovative engineering solutions across the civil engineering and construction sectors including rail, highways, airport, marine, energy, water, and environmental infrastructure.
The company employs over 2,600 staff across the country and brings together best practice through five business units: VolkerFitzpatrick, VolkerRail, VolkerStevin, VolkerHighways and VolkerLaser. These business units each have a long and successful heritage built on delivering quality and bespoke projects as well as providing specialist skills, plant and equipment. Our success is founded on our ability to deliver in challenging environments and regularly winning repeat business from established clients.
Collaboration is also at the heart of what we do as we share best practice and draw on the specialist skills of each business unit to deliver a truly integrated service to our clients. By utilising the specialist skills of each business unit within VolkerWessels UK, we are able to provide development to ensure our staff provide unrivalled resources and expertise to our clients.
Our sustainable business strategy seeks to ensure ongoing environmental, social and business sustainability.
We are aware of the effects that our activities can have on the environment and accept responsibility for future generations by limiting our impact. We continually seek to be as socially and environmentally responsible as possible, maximising opportunities for enhancement and mitigating adverse impacts on the environment and society more generally.
As a company, we:
- Reduce our carbon emissions year on year by focusing on resource efficiency (energy, waste, water) across our activities, and seeking carbon reductions within our construction operations by increasing the commitment of our supply chain to lower carbon solutions.
- Recognise the importance of continually improving the energy efficiency of our activities, goods and services through a more sustainable use of electricity and fuel. This includes the promotion of alternative specifications and technologies to influence energy efficiency in the structures we design and build, and the use of more energy-efficient methods of transportation.
- Play our part in the prevention of overall habitat and species loss, habitat fragmentation and disturbance by protecting and enhancing the ecosystems affected by our activities.
- Reduce the amount of waste we produce from our activities, with a particular focus on the prevention of construction, demolition and excavation waste sent to landfill.
- Commit to eliminating the unnecessary and improper use of water (potable and non-potable) in addition to influencing improved water efficiency of the structures we design and build.
We believe that our activities and conduct will deliver our sustainable business strategy. We joined the Supply Chain Sustainability School to more proactively engage with our supply chain and deliver on our commitments. Our aim is to add value to our society, inspire others and support suppliers in their own efforts to share time, skills and resources in their chosen way.