What is the People Matter Charter?
Diversity, exploitation, wellbeing, employment conditions and training & skills are common challenges faced by organisations and their supply chains. People issues are vast, yet all connected.
The People Matter Charter was created to help organisations up and down the supply chain address these challenges together, in one workforce strategy. The Charter has eight commitments that can apply to any organisation, of any size.download the charter
A set of standards for the entire industry
Created by stakeholders from across the industry
Why become a signatory?
Do you employ people? Do you work with supply chain partners who employ people, either sub-contractors or suppliers? If yes, regardless of your organisation’s size, the Charter applies to you.
By committing to the Charter you will:
- Demonstrate to clients your commitment to engage and develop your workforce
- Increase staff retention
- Improve wellbeing and help decrease absenteeism
- Improve supply chain resilience
- Adapt to the needs of an evolving industry
- Collaborate with industry to improve labour standards across the value chain
What commitment is required by signatories?
Signatories to the Charter must:
- Already be at least level 1 in 6 of the 8 commitments outlined in the People assessment
- Be committed to embedding the People Matter Charter in your organisation
- Be committed to working with your supply chain and embedding the Charter’s commitments in your supply chain requirements
- Provide the School with one written case study per year, providing either qualitative or quantitative evidence on the impact the Charter is having on your organisation and / or supply chain
How does my organisation become a signatory?
Complete the People Matter Charter Learning Pathway, including the People assessment. The People assessment will help you understand your organisation’s maturity against the 8 commitments outlined in the Charter. It’s simple and shouldn’t take long, and we’ve provided some guidance to help.
The final resource in the People Matter Charter Learning Pathway is the Commitment Form. If you decide to become a signatory of the Charter, simply complete and submit the form. You will then receive a link to the signatory pack outlining the next steps.
Not yet ready to commit? The People assessment is still a great tool to help you understand your levels of maturity and provides a platform on which to build a workforce strategy for your organisation.
Our organisation has committed to the Charter and is now a signatory – what next?
Congratulations! If you have completed the People Matter Charter Learning Pathway, and submitted the Commitment Form included in the pathway, you are now a signatory to the Charter. What next?
- Download your People Matter Charter badge from your company dashboard and include this in your organisational literature, on your website and in your email signature.
- Read and review your People Matter Charter signatory pack. This will be sent to you by email upon submission of the Commitment Form.
- Start to plan how you will implement this within your workforce strategy. Remember, the Supply Chain Sustainability School has a range of free resources to help, including CPD accredited workshops and e-learning modules.
- Consider how to communicate the commitment internally and externally (clients, stakeholders, supply chain).
What help is available?
The School provides free resources in a wide range of formats to help you develop your knowledge and performance in the 8 commitment areas.
Use the jigsaw pieces below to find relevant resources.