Offsite and Net-Zero
This past month has seen progress in linking Offsite construction and decarbonisation, with new standards for social housing in Wales favouring MMC and use of local timber being announced, and a new net-zero housing development at Granton Waterfront in Edinburgh given the green light. Led by the City Council, the Edinburgh Home Demonstrator project will see the construction of 75 net zero homes and three retail units, constructed offsite using a fabric-first approach including CCG ‘s ‘iQ’ Timber System.
Carbon will be a key focus for the Offsite group this year along with Social Value. Earlier this week, we were joined by John Hanscombe for a webinar discussing Akerlof’s project investigating methods to reduce the carbon impact of precast concrete. He explained how carbon was mapped along the whole lifecycle, and how 40% carbon reduction gains were achieved using techniques that could be implemented immediately by manufacturers. If you missed it, you can rewatch at the link below.
The sustainability benefits of offsite vs traditional construction are often placed centrally in arguments for the approach, but there is currently a lack of solid, up-to-date information to back this up. We’ll be hosting more webinars on the subject and reaching out to key organisations this year in order to build an evidence base. If you would like to be part of these conversations, please get in touch to discuss joining the Offsite Leadership Group.
Upcoming training sessions
- What does Offsite mean for Site Managers? – Lunch ‘n’ Learn, Tuesday, 15 February, 1:30-2:30 PM. Register now
- Offsite for Site Managers – Workshop, Wednesday, 16 March, 1 – 4PM. Register now
- Exploiting Digital in Sustainable FM – Business Byte, see below
Resources recommended for you this month
- Decarbonising Precast Concrete: Webinar Recording. Watch now
- Logistics for Offsite Construction. Watch now
- Case Stuy: Construction Logistics. Find out more
If you don’t measure, you can’t manage
Complete our free self assessment to get your bespoke action plan today. The list of resources will advise you where you should focus your learning with direct links to top-quality materials.
You can also benchmark your company’s offsite maturity here.
Exploiting Digital for sustainable FM
Join us on the 22nd February from 10:00am -12:00pm on Zoom Webinars at our Exploiting Digital in FM Conference. This session will examine how digital data and technologies are helping Real Estate to become more safe, productive and sustainable.
Speakers Include: Active Plan, Hexagon, Sunbelt Rentals and University of West Scotland & Conexa
By attending this session you will:
- Hear from experts about the importance of good quality data in the aftermath of Grenfell
- Understand how to simulate maintenance and safety procedures in the buildings you manage or supply to
- Recognise what tools and innovations are ‘just around the corner’
- Learn how to quantify the benefits and risks of digital innovations