The Environment Agency defines social equity as ensuring fair opportunity for everyone to thrive in a changing environment.
This means taking into account systemic inequalities and ensuring that everyone has access to the same opportunities and outcomes. Equity acknowledges that inequalities exist and works to eliminate them.
Our vision for social equity is to ensure the operations, projects and programmes delivered by the Environment Agency are contributing to a just and fair society.
We will do this by working in, for, and with communities and by making all decisions in the context of relevant social, environmental and economic factors to best support those most in need. By including equity in climate and nature decision-making processes, we can create a more resilient and equitable environment and society.
Through our learning pathways, we aim to support our staff, partners and suppliers:
- Increase awareness of social equity-related topics to ensure the EA contributes to a just and fair society.
- Encourage learners to consider social equity as part of their strategic and operational decision-making processes.
- Build consistency in understanding around social equity, enabling more collaboration around the topic across our business, partners and supply chain.
Learning modules available:
- Introduction to Social Value (45 mins)
- Achieving Business Success through FIR (60 mins)
- FIR: Understanding Invisible Disabilities (45 mins)
- Race and Intercultural Competence: Part 1 & 2 (45 min each)
- Engaging a diverse supply chain (45 mins)
- The Modern Slavery Act (15 mins)
- Supply Chain Mapping and Modern Slavery (30 mins)
- How to embed equity and inclusivity in climate action planning (30 mins)
Further Learning Resources
How to join – Instructions For Environment Agency staff:
To enrol in a pathway:
- Create an SCSS personal account
- Click on your personal profile. Under the heading ‘My Learning Pathways’, click ‘View available pathways’
- Use the search function to locate the relevant pathway, and click ‘Enrol’
- Begin your learning through clicking on ‘Enrolled pathways’ under your personal profile
For any questions on accessing the SCSS Learning Pathways, please contact Rosie Watts: [email protected]